The thing I was worried about did happen, ed doesn’t have any weight to him, so I need to clamp the rope tighter to flatten the gelatine out. I also reckon pouring it in isn’t going to work for this type of mould, want to try and brush next time. Checked a few tutorials and gelatine is ready when stringy and you only have a minute working time – It needs to be strapped or weighted down, this I need to do better for the next attempt. Going to borrow the counterbalance weight from work, I use for the boom arm chroma key tripod, that will be fun to lug home. TAKE TWO. Dead scared I fucked it up – I proper panicked as I just jumped in as usual. I was just melting the gelatin on the hob, over the double burner, when I realised I hadn’t covered ed and the cast in petroleum jelly, that threw me. I think I made a mess of the cast, as I was running up and down stairs looking for stuff, making sure the gelatin didn’t boil. Alas it’s in the fridge now.
Gelatin didn’t stay runny for as long as I would have expected and was a little stringy, might need to heat more. Reckon I’m gonna have to invest in a microwave finally – For nothing other then melting gelatine and popping popcorn 🙂 The guide said leave 4 hours in the fridge, I reckon it will be set in 2, if the tester piece is anything to go by, but I will be patient ha prob not FINGERS CROSSED.
Used Crystacal R Plaster 100/33 mix in two batches to make the mold – see below. Had a few bubbles in the mold but not a massive issue for a zombie sculpt, cleaned the clay with toothpicks, Witch Hazel & a toothbrush + put it in the fridge to get rid of last little bits, teeth and nose ridge tricky but for a first try I’m happy, now for gelatin 🙂